As 2016 winds down to its inexorable close, I would like to wish all of my readers at Kink Weekly a Happy New Year. May 2017 be your best year ever!
Last year, I compiled a list of “BDSM New Year Resolutions” for your perusal. Most of us make, but rarely keep, these pledges; despite this fact, I still think this “usually ignored” resolution list should be made into an annual tradition. Thus, this 2017 edition!
As in last year’s list, this one is merely a starting-off point for compiling your own personal pledges. If none of these suggestions float your boat, create those that are relevant to your own kinky situation.
So, without further adieu, this year’s list!
1. Resolve to listen to your partner more attentively.
2. Resolve to bring some variety to your BDSM play.
3. Since 2017 is the year “Fifty Shades Darker” is released, resolve not to criticize it until you have seen it. Then criticize it. Or not!!!
4. Resolve to discuss what you liked and what you did not like about your BDSM relationship in the last year. No punishment, no protocol – just honest discussion.
5. If you go to a dungeon and play publicly, resolve to visit that dungeon without playing and just observe others.
6. If you go to a dungeon and do not play publicly, resolve to visit that dungeon and play publicly.
7. If you are a Dom/me, resolve to examine any bad decisions you made last year objectively.
8. Resolve not to repeat mistakes. Or read my “Learn From My Mistakes” articles and resolve not to repeat them!
9. If you are a Dom/me, resolve to examine where you could have been a better Dom/me during the last year.
10. If you are a submissive, resolve to examine where you could have been a better sub during the last year.
11. Resolve to make regular playtime in spite of work and other demands on your life. This is the same one as last year, and is worth repeating.
12. Resolve to try some play that you dislike but your partner likes.
13. Resolve to eliminate one habit your partner hates – such as smoking. This is worth repeating from last year’s list as the tax on cigarettes will up the price to close to ten bucks a pack. So this is a wise resolution. Use the money you save on a new toy.
14. Resolve to read some kinkweekly.com features that you might have overlooked. (A little self-promotion never hurts!)
15. Resolve to keep at least one of your resolutions.
As I stated in last year’s article, if I prod you into making some BDSM New Year resolutions – rather than, or in addition to, the standard ones (“I will lose ten pounds”) – you might improve your BDSM life and thus have a better 2017. Which is what I wished you at the top of this article – that 2017 will be your best year ever.
Happy New Year!
BTW — I resolve to lose ten pounds!
After a ten year run as head writer for the legendary bondage.com, and an equally long run as the host of the hit internet show “Baadmaster’s Dungeon,” we are pleased to welcome the one and only Baadmaster to KinkWeekly. His thoughts about all things BDSM will now appear regularly on these pages. From the mental aspects of D/s to the nuts and bolts of S&M play, Baadmaster will cover every facet of this ever expanding lifestyle.